Renovating old furniture is a great way to get creative and save money. Reclaimed or Salvaged wood furniture can be an excellent starting point.
Do you love the rustic look of old furniture, but don’t want to spend a lot on new expensive pieces? Salvaged wood furniture is the answer.
You can also use salvaged wood from demolished buildings, warehouses, houses, or barns for future use in the form of new or antique pieces.
With the right touch, you may have your own piece of history sitting in your living room! Whether you are looking for a table or chairs, this blog post has plenty of ideas that will help you on your journey.
Salvaged Wood Furniture Ideas
What is reclaimed wood furniture?
Reclaimed wood furniture is furniture that is made out of old wood from demolished buildings, or old wooden furniture that has been modified to fit your needs.
Why use reclaimed wood furniture?
Reclaimed wood is usually reused, old, and original material that can be transformed into something new again in a way that's environmentally friendly. It helps make up for the lack of raw materials on Earth due to deforestation and depletion.
How to find the right salvaged wood furniture?
The first step to finding reclaimed furniture for your home is figuring out if you want something antique or new. Antique can be anywhere from 100 to 200 years old and can cost as much as $25,000 per piece! New salvaged pieces are typically less expensive and come in a range of styles, colors, and sizes.
Sometimes what you need can't be found in a store. Salvaged wood furniture is often unique to the individual or needs of an organization due to its customization options.
Is reclaimed wood furniture cheaper?
Reclaimed wood furniture is cheaper if done yourself, but if you are looking to buy a piece for your home, it will most likely be more expensive due to the time and effort that goes into finding just the right reclaimed wood furniture.
For many people who want their homes to reflect what they love as well as where they're from, salvaged wood is important because of its unique characteristics.
Is reclaimed wood furniture good?
Reclaimed wood furniture is better than new wood because it has been repurposed and rejuvenated, which means it is more environmentally friendly.
Is Reclaimed barn wood safe?
As long as you take care of the reclaimed wood furniture, it will last a lifetime and be environmentally friendly! Barn reclaimed wood is a great way to make your home unique.
Is reclaimed wood good for outdoor furniture?
Reclaimed wood would last in an outdoor environment as long as it's well taken care of - just make sure not to use water on it and to always use a cover when not in use.
Tips for DIY Salvaged Wood Furniture:
Keep your old pieces from being thrown away by refashioning them into something. You can create anything from benches, tables, or even reclaimed desks.
DIY your own salvaged wood furniture by following these steps:
- Salvage the wood - By looking locally for old barns or purchasing salvaged lumber from a local lumber store.
- Draw up your plans and start building. It's not as hard as it sounds! If you don't want to design your own plans, you can click the button below and you'll find lots of plans you can use to build your own reclaimed wood furniture.
- You will also need glue and screws to secure your boards together - Use a drill to make pilot holes in your board where you'll later place your screw, then drive them into place with a hammer.
- Sandpaper to smooth the wood you have just finished cutting - It's important not to skip this step, especially if you found your wood in its rough form.
- Apply a sealant or finish of choice (polyurethane or varnish) - Salvaged lumber can be prone to water damage so it is extremely important that you protect the boards from moisture and rot with a clear coat of polyurethane. Apply a thin layer with an even coating so you don't leave any dry patches on your board.
- You can also paint your salvaged wood furniture to give it a new look.
- Apply two or three coats of paint and wait for the finish coat to dry before you use your reclaimed wood furniture - Use high-quality, exterior grade paints that are made specifically for painted surfaces and offer good durability.
What types of salvaged wood are there?
There are many different types, but the most common is barn reclaimed wood which has been used for centuries as a viable and cost-efficient alternative to new materials.
Salvaged wood furniture is trendy at the moment, as people are tending to go for the renewal of old pieces instead of buying new ones.
These project ideas you can find above include reclaimed wood in the kitchen for those amazing countertops and cabinets, dining room ideas such as a reclaimed wood extension table, or bedroom projects such as a nice salvaged wood dresser fitting for your bedroom’s decor.
This kind of furniture can add a rustic feel to a room like a spotlight piece or maybe complement the whole salvage wood furniture and decor you already own.
Do renew furniture, do salvage wood and get new furniture, you will definitely love having furniture no one has alike, those pieces everyone will ask where you get them. You will be proud to say they are unique and made just for you, perhaps even by you, shall you be one handy person who loves a do-it-yourself challenge.